A BRIEF INTRODUCTION
Speech and Hearing Association of Pakistan (SHAP) is a nonprofit organization, registered with the Registrar of Societies, at Karachi.
“SHAP is the only national association fully representing and passionately supporting its members that include speech-language pathologists and audiologists.”
Speech-language pathologists and audiologists are individuals that hold appropriate qualifications designated by the country where the degree is obtained. SHAP requires that they must be fully qualified and must hold a degree i.e. BS / B.Sc. / M.A. / M.S. in speech language therapy/pathology (or communication disorders) and audiology from a recognized university in their own country before applying.
SHAP was founded in the year 2000 by the efforts of volunteers from the fields of pediatrics, psychology and speech and language pathology from Pakistan, Canada and UK. With the joint efforts of the founding members SHAP successfully signed an MOU with Ziauddin University, Karachi to initiate the first ever 4-year undergraduate program in speech language pathology/therapy. This was the very first program with specified courses of speech language communication and hearing disorders in Pakistan which was later transformed to speech language pathology and audiology.
Currently SHAP not only oversees clinical practice of the professionals in the realm of speech language pathology and audiology but also monitors the academic rigor of the variety of programs that majors in speech language pathology and audiology.
WHO WE ARE?
We are the representative body of speech-language pathologists and audiologists that are working across Pakistan. We are a nonprofit association and qualified professionals belonging to the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology.
WHAT WE DO?
- We are working on a single point agenda which is to establish the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology in Pakistan.
- We monitor and ensure evidence based practices, pursuance and maintenance of ethical norms in professional practices by all our members.
- We also provide indiscriminatory services to all the speech-language pathologists and audiologists across Pakistan along with endorsing the provision of early and uniform services across the nation by our members.
- We provide continuing education through seminars, webinars, workshops etc., along with running awareness campaigns on different disorders that fall in the realms of speech-language pathologists and audiologists.
- SHAP ensures advocacy for professionals and for the beneficiaries for adequate and equitable access of resources to all.
We aim to put Pakistan on the world map of speech-language pathology and audiology.
To bring together all the professional workers including speech-language pathologists and audiologists those are interested in the field of speech language therapy/pathology and audiology to encourage good will and cooperation among them.
To stimulate interest in the study and advancement of the science and practice of speech language therapy/pathology and audiology in all possible ways including education, clinical practice and research.
To maintain the honor and dignity of the speech language pathologists/therapists and audiologists and to protect the interests, rights and privileges of the members of the association.
To develop a spirit of doing their professional, ethical and social duties in all aspects of their individual and national life.
To give professional and expert help advice and co-operation to the government and to other bodies in promoting education, clinical practice and research in the field of speech language therapy/pathology and audiology.
To bring out or publish for sale or distribution of useful literature in the field of speech language therapy/pathology and audiology in the form of pamphlets, journals, or books.
To cooperate or to enter into arrangement with other Associations, authorities and / bodies in all matters which are likely to promote the objectives of the Speech and Hearing Association of Pakistan.